- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons of cumin ground
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon ground
- 3 tablespoons of coriander ground
- 2 tablespoons of finely grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
- 2 red chili
- 1 onion peeled and chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1.5kg chicken pieces
- To make each paste place all ingredients except chicken into a food processor (or mortar) and process into a paste.
- Brush paste over chicken.
- Marinate the chicken overnight for a better result, otherwise cook straight away.
- Place the chicken onto the preheated BBQ (medium heat).
- Close with the hood and cook for 30-40 minutes. Turning twice
- The chicken is cooked when it reaches 75 degrees (check the thickest part of breast or the thighs), or check it by poking a knife tip into the thickest part:
# if cloudy pinkish juice oozes out it is undercooked
# If clear juice quickly oozes out it is just about to be ready
# If juices starts to ooze out slowly the chicken is perfectly cooked
# If no juice comes out it is overcooked
Any left-over paste bring to the boil to kill harmful food bacteria.
To do it you place the tray with the juices onto the BBQ and bring to the boil and pour over the chicken just before serving.