- 1x 520g loaf fruit bread
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 50g butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup labna (see tip)
- 250g strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbs white sugar
- 1 tbs picked mint leaves
- For the mint sugar, process sugar and mint until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Cut eight, 2cm-thick slices from the fruit loaf.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and sugar together in a large shallow dish. Add the fruit loaf one piece at a time, turning to coat both sides. Drain excess then transfer to a tray.
- Preheat the BBQ on high then turn to medium ready to grill.
- Brush both sides of the bread with butter. BBQ for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly charred. Remove to serving plates.
- Swirl the Nutella and labna together and spoon over the French toast. Top with strawberries and sprinkle with mint sugar.
Other Topping Options
- Beat 150g piece fresh ricotta with 1 tbs icing sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract until soft and creamy. Spread over the French toast and drizzle with fresh passionfruit pulp.
- Swirl 1 tbs maple syrup and 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt together. Dollop over the French toast then top with fresh raspberries and a heaped spoonful toasted granola.
- Swirl 1 tbs honey and 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt together. Dollop over French toast then top with fresh blueberries anda sliced banana. Drizzle with extra honey and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
BeefEater Tip: It’s easier and cheaper to make your own labna. Spoon 500g Greek yoghurt into a sieve lined with muslin. Press the muslin over the yoghurt to cover. Place over a bowl in the fridge. Leave for 6 hours or overnight if time permits.