- 1 whole free-range chicken
- ¼ cup of ketchup manis (thick soy sauce)
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- ½ cup of sesame seeds
- Butterfly the chicken by cutting out the backbone and flattening the breastbone by pressing down hard with the back of your hand.
- Fold the wing tips back under the wing, then and put the chicken in a baking dish that can hold it flat.
- To make each paste place remaining ingredients into a food processor (or mortar) and process into a paste.
- Brush paste over chicken.
- Marinate the chicken overnight for a better result, otherwise cook straight away.
- Place the chicken inside facing downwards onto the preheated BBQ (medium heat).
- Close with the hood and cook for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chicken skin side down and cook covered until it is done and the skin is golden brown (another 20-30 minutes depending on the chicken's size). If the skin needs further browning increase the heat to high and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it is crisped to your liking
- The chicken is cooked when it reaches 75 degrees (check the thickest part of breast or the thighs), or check it by poking a knife tip into the thickest part of breast or thigh
# if cloudy pinkish juice oozes out it is undercooked
# If clear juice quickly oozes out it is just about to be ready
# If juices starts to ooze out slowly the chicken is perfectly cooked
# If no juice comes out it is overcooked
Any left-over paste bring to the boil to kill harmful food bacteria.
To do it you place the tray with the juices onto the BBQ and bring to the boil and pour over the chicken just before serving.